What is the role of a Member of Parliament (MP)?

MPs represent their constituency in Parliament, they give help and advice directly to constituents, and they play a part in their political party.

In Parliament, the MP votes to give support to, or opposition against, laws and amendments to laws. The MP also contributes to debates where they are able to explore issues more fully.

Within the constituency, local people can go to their MP for help and advice on a range of issues such as welfare benefits, Jobcentre Plus, the Child Support Agency, Health and the NHS, HMRC and Tax Credits, DVLA, immigration, asylum, UK Visas and Immigration and the Passport Office. If you are unsure of whether I can help, call 01709-331036 or click Contact Me.

Constituents may also raise policy-related concerns with their MP. If your issue or concern relates to services provided by your local council such as housing, schools, roads or waste collection it is best to contact your local councillor. You can find out more about Rotherham councillors, including who your own councillors are, by following this link.

The MP also has regular communication with their local political party. They can communicate local issues to the national party and lobby to make sure these issues are heard.


What are ‘Surgeries’ and when are they held?

Surgeries are pre-arranged events where constituents can discuss personal issues face-to-face with the MP and/or a specialist caseworker. My surgeries are held at Rotherham Town Hall. Attendance at surgeries is by appointment only. Please use the contact me  page to book an appointment.

Other surgeries may be held throughout the constituency, details of which will be published on my website in advance of the event.


How can you contact Sarah?

Please visit the contact me page of this website.


Can Sarah help if you do not live in the Rotherham constituency?

No. There is a strict parliamentary protocol which dictates that MPs may only represent their own constituents on personal matters.


How can you invite Sarah to an event that you are holding?

You can either send me an invitation in the post or via email (see the Contact page for addresses). Please note, written information is required for an invitation to be considered. I am likely to be in Westminster Monday to Wednesday and my diary gets booked up several months in advance.


How can you find out what Sarah has done in Parliament?

The website: ‘They work for You’ is a good way of seeing how each MP has voted, and also keeps a history of their speeches and other contributions. My profile can be found here. You can also sign up to my newsletter to receive regular monthly updates direct from me.


Why should you vote?

People choose their MPs by voting in general elections. These elections are crucial because they decide who will be in government and give everyone a say in how the country will be run in the future. The party with the most MPs forms the government.

Elections work best when everyone takes part and votes. If you don’t vote, you are having no say in issues as important as the NHS, schools, how much tax you pay and how we look after the environment.


How do you register to vote?

Almost everyone in Britain aged 18 and over is qualified to vote. However, you must register before you can do so.


Can Sarah help with a tour of Parliament, or tickets for the House of Commons?

I can organise visits to Parliament for individuals who live in the Rotherham constituency. However, a tour can never be guaranteed, tours book up at least six months to a year in advance and there is a strict ballot applied to the booking of tours, so if you want to organise one, please contact me as soon as possible.